24 marzo 2011

Carta al presidente norteamericano Barack Obama de Alina Brouwer

March, 22 th, 2011 (*)

Dear Mr. President Obama,

Great Britain's Neville Chamberlain is most famous for his appeasement policy towards Adolf Hitler. We all know what happened later. I also know that back then the international community vowed to never let genocide and mass extermination of human beings happen again. Since then, we have had 100 million people exterminated, victims of Communism. We are still counting. We have seen, mass genocide all over Africa, Burundi, Ruanda. Sudan. Children soldiers, slaves.

Cambodia's Pol Pot in the late 70s exterminated over 3 million souls. Castro's Cubans helped them. I have a currency bill from Cambodia. The bill was brought back to Cuba as a memento. One of its corners has blood on it. If I tell you the story behind it, you would cry rivers.

Dear Mr President Obama, I ask : Do you think what Muammar Ghadafi is doing to his people is
different from any of the cases I aforementioned?

I am a Cuban exiled who has made this great country The United States of America, my home and the home of my family for I strongly believe that it is the greatest and strongest nation on this planet. And it is because time and time again, we are the only country today that dares to stand for life, dignity and hope.

The international community has been in a state of shock with the horrific disaster in Japan. The world is also watching live, the massive extermination of millions of people. No one dares to question our full support for Japan. But many question our help to Libyan people. Are Japanese people different from Libyans?

Dear Mr. President Obama, I understand you cut your trip short. I suppose it is the result of the noise being made by the Washington establishment. It is quite intense I most say, disturbing even. It worries me that an old man, an academic from one of many think tanks, can really speak for “our interests” or decide the policies that are best for America in an event that is still unfolding. Some question that you, Mr. President are not giving all the information regarding Libya. I truly hope my Commander in Chief does not give an inch of data out, that could be used by Ghadafi' s intelligence in their favor. I hear journalists, Washington pundits, politicians, questioning our knowledge about the Libyan opposition.

Yesterday I saw a young American Libyan on CNN talking about hope and peace for his country. I saw young and old Libyans, talking about the same thing half a world away in the besieged city of Benghazi. Libyan people, like Cuban people, want to be free and decide for their future.

Dear President Obama, the events unfolding in the Africa and Middle East regions will not go away, just because we choose to ignore their existence. We in America can do two things: We can watch and observe or we can lead and help shape the process of change, that is unstoppable. Arabs have been there all along. What's happening is, they just woke up from centuries of cruelty and slavery and realized they also want to have hope and be free.

The stones on which we set our foundation as a nation are those of life, dignity and the opportunity to pursue happiness. None of it can exist without peace. If we look the other way once again, just because we have to make some pundits happy, we are really setting ourselves up for more failed policies and our country will be involved in conflicts for many years to come.

It is not only in the best interest of America and in the best interest of our children to engage and setforward a policy that will secure our country and will give the world a long period of peace and stability. It is imperative we do so. Knowing this incredible nation I am certain we will do what we need to do. Just remember, if we let this genocide happen there it can happen here as well. To those of us who have lived under tyrants, these are great times. The solidarity of America with those oppressed will not be forgotten. Today, Libyan people are thanking us for standing with them and I thank you for doing so. Mr. President, you were given a mandate by the American people to act on our behalf and take action when needed. Americans are compassionate and smart. They are waiting for you to make the case and call to bring everyone together. I am sure you can do it.

May God Bless You, your beautiful family and America.
Sincerely,
Alina Brouwer

(*) Enviada a este blog por la autora.